I need advice! I have been interviewing for jobs because I moved to a new city. Naturally, one of the questions that comes up from interviewers/recruiters is "What brings you to this city?" I say "My husband got a job here." Most people are satisfied with that question. I'd say like 60% will stop there. The other 40% are unable to resist and are *dying* to know what he does. I made the mistake of telling one recruiter at an employment agency that he is a resident. The woman just rolled her eyes at me. I can't imagine, ever rolling my eyes at someone's response to a question that I asked them.
I got smart right away and stopped indulging these people's curiosity. I say little pansy lines like "oh even I don't know what he does!" and employers respond well to that. I don't want to lie, but I don't want to give them yet another reason to judge me. You might think I'm paranoid, but I really have had people ask me what my husband does [even though I never ask others that question, ever], then roll their eyes at me, or say generally hurtful things they otherwise wouldn't say if my husband was basically any other profession.
What should I do? How should I respond to these prospective employers?